Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dead in sin. Alive in Christ. Jesus Loving his Beloved.

Its been one year since I walked timidly into the community of Edgehill. A year holds many moments, many memories, many stories. To tell them all would be quite the tale. Here is one.

Autumn seems to bring a bit of change to not only the colors overtaking our city, but to the spirits of those who find them selves amidst the crunch of freshly fallen leaves. Edgehill is no different. A new season has brought us new joys, new struggles, and new adventures.



My friends and I have had the chance to watch as our small Saturday play group has grown to nearly 50 kids! Not only is Saturday growing, but we attempt to go visit families two to three other times through out the week. And our newest adventure has been taking some of our kids to church with us each Sunday. Much is changing, much is growing, much to give thanks over.

(If your interested in reading about the first times we brought our kids to church check out this BLOG Thankful to have friends who tell stories well.) 

Today however was a very special Sunday. Friends I am going to attempt to share with you how dear to my heart today was. 

Ethos Church, a place I have grown to love, celebrated its fifth birthday today.  A small church that gathered in the home of the founding pastor has now grown to a church of six services spread over two campuses. To celebrate the fifth year of Ethos we as a church gathered at a near by university to worship as one family. My friends and I had wrestled all week with if we were going to bring our Edgehill kids this Sunday. We had some trouble with behavior the week before and were feeling a bit discouraged thinking about if our kids were more of a distraction or if they were even getting anything out of coming on Sundays. After hearing from all three senior pastors at Ethos that our kids were not only welcome but loved, we decided to pack up 17 of them in our cars this crisp fall morning, and take them to celebrate a birthday.


 


Six of the kids were under the age of seven which qualified them to be allowed to go to the children's room where they could play on bouncy houses, do crafts, watch veggie tales, and eat snacks. After sitting them down and explaining the importance of behaving and looking out for each other we turned them lose on some wonderful Ethos Kids volunteers.   
After dropping off the 6, that left us with 11 older kids to take to the actual service. 

Midway through the first half of worship I got a moment to look around. The sight I saw was with out question the kingdom of God. Dear friends from all different families from all different cities, were worshiping and dancing alongside our Edgehill children who also were from all different families, and even different countries. This was undoubtedly a picture of reconciliation in all of its beauty.

The service had so many wonderful components, worship with so many talented members of the worship team, Dave (the main pastor) shared a short message, and they had a time of baptism for those who wanted to celebrate the joy of finding Jesus with the entire church body. 

When Dave first began speaking on baptism explaining the events of the morning, one of our little boys named Anthony asked me if he could get baptized one day. I quietly asked him why he wanted to get baptized and he explained to me that Jesus died on the cross for him and that He loved Jesus with all of his heart. I told him that was so great and exactly why people get baptized but that we should wait for his Mom and maybe do it next week. He seemed to be ok with that answer for the moment. But as the baptisms began he asked me again, "Ms. Bailey can I get baptized NOW." I called his mom who gave me the ok, and spoke with him again asking why is this something you want to do. He explained again "Ms. Bailey I love JESUS!" My heart was full. 

Anthony changed clothes and as we waited in line for his turn to get into the water Jordan joined us and sat Anthony on his lap. He gently spoke to him about how getting baptized shows you and everyone else that you were a sinner but that the water washes away the past and makes you new. Jordan told him how much God loved Anthony and how nothing in the world would make God or us stop loving him. Anthony was overcome by tears and emotion in a way I have never seen a small child react. As we walked on to the stage and helped him into the horse trough we got a moment to hold his hand and look and see all of the kids squished to the front of the stage cheering on their dear friend. Once again the kingdom in all of its glory. Anthony's brother and sister, our Islam children and our "big kid" friends, all celebrating the work the Lord was doing in this 10 year olds life. My heart is full.
Then.

Hold your nose. 
You are Dead in sin.
Dipped under the water, emerging with smiles. 
You are alive in Christ. 
Celebrating, cheering, a church loving its children. Jesus loving his Beloved. 


Walking Anthony back to put dry clothes on his younger brother Man Man ran to us. Embraced his brother with tears in his eyes and loved him. Another picture of the kingdom brothers celebrating brothers for the newness found in Christ Jesus. 
Man Man then looked at me and Jordan and said "I want to get baptized." Whether in the moment or because he genuinely desired to be baptized, we sat him down talked about why and then gave him new clothes. 

Jordan walked him into change and saw in front of him his own roommate, our dear friend Asher who also felt God calling him to publicly share in his faith through emerging in the water. Tears rushed down cheeks, as we celebrated the joy of watching not only our kids take this step but our lovely friend who has loved these kids so well too.

Asher was baptized by Dave, and 15 of his closest guy friends. I got to stand with Man Man as Asher's turn was right before his. Another picture of the kingdom: I am  thankful that our little boys have such literal, tangible examples of strong godly men in front of them, directly in front of them. 
Man Man's turn as he sits in the water. Again watching as a group of all different kinds of people, big, small, white, black, young, old, cheered as a new soul found true love today. 


Hold your nose. 
You are Dead in sin.
Dipped under the water, emerging with smiles. 
You are alive in Christ. 
Celebrating, cheering, a church loving its children. Jesus loving his Beloved. 



My knees ache from calling out in gratitude this evening. My eyes burn from the tears cried as I was able to praise, and pray for these little souls over tea this night in my empty house.  


  

I looked at this story of these little hearts with not only my eyes but with my heart and thought and thought: What can this be? Saturdays were so little, our kids are so little, my faith is so little, our love is often so little… What can this be?
I was amazed that it could last, for I thought that because of its littleness it would suddenly have fallen into nothing. And I was answered in my understanding: It last and always will because God loves it; and thus everything has being through the love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment